Got ready to install the chain on my '83 300D and read the instructions that
came with the tool from Performance Products which said to use the outer
clip with "IWIS" on it.  Both clips have IWIS on them but there is a
difference in color:  one is black, the other is silver.
There must be a reason for the clips of different colors.  One is probably
supposed to go in the center and the other being the outer clip.  The black
clip is the color of spring steel.
The clips I took off of the old chain are not different colors.  I miked the
new clips and they are both the same thickness.  I have two new links; one
came with the chain and the other from Rusty.  Both are the same with two
links of different colors.
All help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gerry