My old w123 300D is on its last 100000km , compression +- 15 bar and it
currently requires about 12 sec of glowing ( new type plugs ) and  seconds
of cranking at 10degC ambient. Now the question  is do you glow twice and
possibly reduce cranking time , or reduce glow time and crank more - there
is a compromise between glowplug life , starter motor life and battery life.
I wonder what the best compromise is. Further throttling help with cold
starting ? - the idea being that all that excess air drawn in when starting
cools the intake charge unnecessarily.
Regards
Peter