one of the reasons Real J**ps™ have solid axles isn't only the simplicity
of them that someone mentioned, it's the fact that when a wheel moves up
onto an obstacle the center differential has to move up somewhat with it
improving clearance at the center as well. (this doesn't matter as much to
off-roaders that see only mud, and doesn't happen nearly at all with IFS.)
   comparing vehicles of different weights or with/without lockers is
irrelevant; it's comparing apples and oranges. most anything will work
better in *some* situations with a Traction Aiding Device like a
locker/limited slip, but even TADs aren't perfect for all situations.

   as the owner of a J**p Cherokee (XJ) i special ordered over a decade
ago to modify for off-pavement and have put over 200K miles on (much of
that in the Great Unpaved), i don't see anything on the market that
would replace my slightly modified XJ for any amount of money.
   that said, i'd still trade it for a 5-door G-Wagen with a 617 if i
could find one in good enough shape...   ;-)

cheers!

'85 300D - 144K miles
'94 J**p XJ - 204K miles (OME/TeraFlex custom suspension, JB Conversions
custom NP231 Xfr case, Goodyear MT/Rs, etc.,...)
'02 BMW GS Adventure - 37K miles