Not really. The issue was that the individuals in power at the time (in the
Congress) had (1) no sense of humor and (2) no appreciation for the arts --
so, they didn't want "porn" to be displayed on their bankroll.

It was the Religious Right at its most arrogant.

The Religious Right was offended by the artwork. I happen to be offended by
the Religious Right and the religiously elitist dogma they spew. (I used to
be one of them, by the way.)

You can't give Federal money to The Arts then rule retroactively on what art
is -- unless any of the members of that Congress happened to have a graduate
degree in Art, and even then it is but an opinion.

Mapplethorpe's work is offensive -- but so is the anti-abortion propaganda
that is in question.

However, I still feel that it is "free speech" (such as the government
permits) and as such is allowed.

And for the record, I am very much anti-abortion, but at the same time very
much pro-choice. Remember, if *men* had the babies, abortions would not only
be funded by the government but armed escorts would be provide for men going
in for the procedure, and anyone blocking access would be hauled away to
jail for trespassing and disturbing the peace.

D.

--
LT Don
http://don.homelinux.net/~don/