> 240D does not put out similar horsepower but diesels have good torque
> and I wonder if that would help to offset the loss of HP.

I suspect that the torque (acceleration) vs HP (speed) thing
is less useful for boats, so that one would miss any horsepower
that weren't there.  Don't small boats spend a whole lot of
their time at or near top speed?

> gas motor would run ~ 4 to 5K rpm at or close to full throttle.

Mine does.  Around 4400 RPM at speed on the lake.

> I am assuming the diesel would not be happy at that rpm

The MB diesels run up there, but would probably be happier
somewhat slower.

> so one would have to regear in some manner to keep the rpm
> of the prop in the range it expects.

On my boat that was done with prop selection.  The pitch of
the prop is in effect the final 'road gear'.

I got both carburetors off my motor.  No sign of gunk
in them in spite of not having run since '91.

-- Jim