In a message dated 7/28/2008 3:44:57 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The ABS  light on my wife's 2001 Ford Expedition is on.  I am hoping that the
 problem is just a wheel speed sensor or something cheap. Anyone have any
experience with these.  I guess I will have to go to a place where they  can
check the codes and charge me an arm and a leg.   Damn!

You can start by checking the brake fluid level in the master  cylinder.  On
some makes, A low brake fluid level will turn off the ABS and  give you a
light.  If the reservoir has two chambers, check to make sure  the fluid level
is
good in both chambers.  Brake fluid levels drop  naturally as pad and shoes
wear.  Sometimes the light will come on when the  fluid is cold but then go out
as the brakes heat up, expanding the fluid.

Autozone and Checker both advertise free code readouts, this in hopes of
selling you some parts, but no obligation.

Good luck,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 265 K miles