> > > It seems than at Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:52:58 +0930, Hendrik wrote:
> > >
> > > The worrying thing is the lack of talented leaders, on one
> > > side you have a populist and on the other a puppet with
> > > strings attached.

> > Philip replied:
> > I think there should be a "Choice D - none of the above" in all
> > elections. If that vote carries the majority, then all current
> > candidates are dismissed and we get a fresh set to choose from.

> Don commented:
> We already have that -- it is called the Primary Election.
>
> I am guessing that you didn't even vote,

(quoting Kaleb....)
BZZZZZZ! Wrong.

And _why_ do you jump to that conclusion?

> and if you did, you didn't expend any energy supporting the
> candidate of your choice.

And there is my point. "None of the above" - even in the primary.

> If you can't find the candidate of your choice, get into the
> race yourself and tell us why you are the primo choice.

Do you cut your own hair?

Do you do your own exhaust work?

What about household wiring?

Tree trimming?

Do you ever use a doctor?

Or have you hired a plumber?

Nearly everyone will hire a pro for some task, often because the
pro is more skilled and more capable than they themselves are
_at_that_task_.

I am a professional. I make my living by knowing a lot about my
particular field. People pay me because I am an expert
_in_my_area_. This does not mean my customers are numb-brained
idiots and I can solve all their problems. Rather, they
recognize that it's valuable to them to hire a pro rather than
do it themselves.

This is the way it should be. I do the things I'm good at doing,
and you do the things your good at doing. This is the core of a
democratic republic. I "hire" someone I trust to be the expert
in the field of politics because I _am_not_ an expert.

If there are no candidates that I trust, that does not somehow
magically turn me into a leader, people manager, and politician
so I would be qualified to be elected.

--            Philip