Andrew,

There is one bulb that illuminates the switches via fiber optic cable. The bulb sits in a holder that provides for all of the fiber optic lines to "catch" the light. This holder is located in the depths of the center console on the drivers side. It sits against the console between the klima unit. To access it, remove the panel with the switches (defroster, ant., etc.). With that out of the way one, with care, can see the holder and trace the fiber optic lines to what we call the octopus. In general, the klima push button unit does not need to be removed, but it may help you if you find the extra room will help. The bulb is the same as those used in headlamp switch for the rear Euro fog indicator as well as those used in knobs for the w123 with manual klima control. This light is fused on the same circuit as the rest of the instrument lamps.

With regards to the shift indicator lamp, there is a bulb located on the side of the shifter mechanism. It too has a plastic holder. The bulb used here is different than that used for the fiber optics.

Regards,

Mathieu Cama

andrew strasfogel wrote:

I recently swapped the radio in my 1983 300TD, and last night noticed that the four switches in the slim wood panel above the ACC push button array were ALL dark (for the antenna, rear hatch light, rear w/s wipers, and rear wiper washer pump). These switches are lit by thin fiber optic cables powered by a "mother" light source, IIRC. My questions: Where is this light source located? Is there a fuse that powers it? Could I have somehow disconnected it or knocked out a bulb when swapping in my radio? Thanks in advance, Andrew
1983 300TD
276 K miles