The fellow who taught me the trade used to drag race a '59 bug with a rather hopped up S90 motor with dual Weber 48s in it during the 1970s. He was so quick, that they placed him in the Hi-Gas class with the hot GTOs, Camaros, and the like of the time. Before he stopped racing he was turning 1/4 miles in under 13 seconds and held the track record for the class for the better part of the year. When the car was retired, the frame was tweaked measurably with the right side lagging behind the driver's as a result of the motor being held in with solid mounts.

Fast forward about 10+ years, while I was apprenticing, he dusted off that special S90 motor and installed it into a '72 Superbeetle convertible. Like you say, it was a silly fast machine. I fondly recall being taken for a ride in it. In short order the speedo was pegged at 100 and we were still accelerating. Once he lifted off the throttle, it took a measurable bit of time before the the speedo needle lifted off of the peg. That truly was one of the best rides I ever have been privy to. The sound of that wound out S90 motor was to die for, but it was running straight pipes too.

Mathieu Cama

Dan Weeks wrote:

I've also seen a couple of 356 engines in VWs.

My brother was given a 1954 356 that had driven into a toll both and totalled. It was so rusty that the entire car basically disintegrated. My brother bolted the Porsche 1500 dual carb engine and aluminum close-ratio trans into a 1960 beetle that was 15 years old at the time and looked totally beat. He used to amaze 302/4V/duals-equipped modified Mustang IIs by winning drag races with them. Low-speed handling was astounding. It would take 90-degree turns at 45 mph with a flick of the wrist and a tap of the toe and never leave the lane. It basically pivoted around the front wheels. The g-forces would separate flesh from bone. The stock VW would have rolled trying such a maneuver, but the lighter engine--and the ability to power-steer the rear end--made it possible. I've ridden in professionally driven Vipers and 911Ss on race tracks at triple digit speeds, but nothing I've sat in defied the laws of physics like that Porschwagon. Eventually the bug disintegrated too, and my brother sold the engine in Hemmings to a Porsche restorer.