Lack of lubrication could cause sluggishness in the pump too.

My 79 has an external oil line to lubricate the Fuel Injection pump.   Don't
know if all 617 diesels have this but it comes off the left side of the
timing chain bulge on the block and goes via a plastic line to the IP.   There
is a
restricting orifice at the source connector and I have always been  afraid
something will plug it up.

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 265 K miles
98 ML 320, 157 K miles
94  Bravada, 190 K miles

In a message dated 8/4/2008 11:01:12 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,