Many interesting points, Ernest.
I agree that there ought to be slightly different rules for different types
of vehicles.

A few tid bits:

The other day I was cycling along a state hwy that runs through town (yes,
bikes are allowed on the wide shoulder, and it's a major bike commuter
route. Though many people feel bikes have no place on a highway like that).
Anyway, a girl on a scooter zips around the left of me and cuts into the
shoulder and rides along on the shoulder. This shoulder-riding by scooters
sends an ambiguous message I want no part of.

In King County, WA (Seattle, etc.) riding on the sidewalk is legal. I was
very surprised to hear that. I feel it's a good idea. Sure, some pedestrians
will be endangered by irresponsible cyclists, but bikes being able to get
off the road when needed is great.

The distinction between "cyclists" and "bicycle riders" you mentioned is
interesting. Yeah, I run into a lot of elitists on two wheels around here.
Some have competed, and I respect that, but they seem to really be arrogant
people. Personally, I can both be found in spandex tearing up the road on a
lightweight road bike (but never fully decked out in wannabe clothing), and
other times tooling along on an old bike I got for free, carrying groceries
on my back. Your point coincides with mine in that experienced cyclists
usually have an idea of the rules of the road, where the family who drives
the Suburban to a spot to unload the dusty garage bikes and swerve around on
a sunny day, usually do not. On the other hand, I get upset when I see
experienced-looking cyclists blatently breaking laws. This only further
enrages the motoring community.

One more thing here: While cyclists have the right to ride two abreast, and
do have the right to ride in the lane of traffic, it ticks me off (yes, even
me) when I see cyclists not staying as far right as is safe (which the law
does require by the way). Yes, I know about the right to "take the lane"
when it's not safe for a car to pass.

Brian