You won't hurt it so long as you keep oil in it.

I would check the following:

Check the blowby -- if you have considerable amounts at idle, you
probably should do something.

Oil separator in the air filter housing.  These can leak (and the
drain can plug) so all the recovered oil will go down the intake.  It
will cheerfully burn, but dino oil will also make zinc oxide ash,
which will polish away the rings and cylinder walls.

Check the valve guide clearance -- bad valve guide seals and loose
guides can give you that much oil consumption.  A valve job, done
properly, will greatly reduce the oil consumption and increase milage
and power quite a bit.  You can also check the cylinder walls at the
same time, at least on the ones exposed.

Do a leak-down test.  That will show if you have worn valves or
cylinder walls.  By 77 the valves were the weak point, not the
cylinders as was true eariler.

Look for a leaking crank seal -- you will throw quite a bit of oil
out that way.

Check for a bad filler cap (dirty oil around the cap).  The seal goes
bad and you can toss quite a bit of oil out there, upwards of a quart
in 1000 miles.  Usually only on the highway, too.

Peter