Hi,
 I just completed replacing the turbo drain seal on my 83 300SD. Thanks for
all the various people who have posted on this topic on many other ocassions
- I used all the info I could find. I was hoping to compare notes with
others who have recently performed this job and present what I did and how I
interpret the o-ring location.
 What I did (eventually):
 Buy:
1" PVC Pipe (& Larger OD Pipe Cutter)
9" long 1/2"-13 Bolt
1/2"-13 nut
2 1/2" x 2" washers
 Remove Two bolts
Pull down on Upper Section
Rotate/Wiggle over then up/off
Drain Oil / Remove Oil Pan
Use a Jack to pop Lower Section out of Oil Pan from the bottom
Remove broken rubber peices on the sections / oil pan
 Cut Several Size 1" pipe peices 1", 2", 3", 4", etc
Slide the seal over the bottom of the Lower Section (Just passed where the
O-ring Goes)
Place lower o-ring on Lower Section
Place Lower Section into Oil Pan Hole from the top
Place two pvc pipe pieces over the lower section so the Lower Section is
barely covered by PVC
{The PVC should fit up right against the Seal}
Place a 1/2" x 2" Washer on the 9" 1/2" - 13 bolt and feed it up through oil
pan and out the PVC
Place another washer and then the nut on the bolt on the other side of the
PVC
Tighten the bolt/nut until the seal is in position
Remove the top washer/nut
Remove the PVC pipe pieces
Place the washer/nut back on the bolt
Tighten the bolt/nut until the torque increases dramatically
(this is when the bottom of the lower section is touching the bottom washer)
Remove the Nut/Bolt/Washers
 Add the Top O-ring to the Lower Section
 Rotate/Wiggle Upper Section onto the Lower Section {There should be just
enough room to do this}
Slide the Upper Section down onto the Lower Section
Rotate/Wiggle over then up to the Turbo Drain Port {There should be just
enough room to do this}
Place the gasket between the Upper Section and the Turbo Port {Dry/goop?}
Screw it into place {What is the correct torque here?}
Put the Oil Pan back on
 I like this method since there wasn't much hard pushing since the bolt did
most of the work. I think that the O-ring would have ended in the same place
even if it started inside the seal when I started. The bottom of the Lower
Section has to be low enough for the Upper Section to fit over the Lower
Section. Once it gets to that point I think it has to pop out of the seal.
 Andy