> If I remember correctly the Russians actually put them in scheduled
> service inside the USSR for a while.  They were retired because they
> burned too much fuel -- took a full 30 min of afterburner at full
> reheat to get up to altitude and speed, and that shortened the range
> too much (along with the usual Russian airplane maintenance, etc).
>
> The TU is pretty snaz for 1968 -- variable pitch turbofan with duct
> burning reheat, and I believe variable pitch compressor first stage,
> too.
>
> If  the Ruskies could every keep their aircraft stuck together and
> used rational tactics, they'd beat the pants off of us.  Good thing
> is that's not likely to change!  The Georgians shot down at least one
> Backfire bomber and a couple top of the line fighters last week.
>
> Peter

Peter,

If *I* remember correctly the Concordski burned so much fuel b/c it
had to run reheat to stay over Mach 1.  If you compare the design of
the wings, the Concorde was more complex and that was the reason I
recall for better fuel efficiency.  Of course, efficiency here is
ENTIRELY relative.

One story I read was that the Tu-144 was used to haul mail for the
proletariat at one point.

Tony Wirtel