I'd say it's the performance of the hardware that makes your sons new
HP laptop run vista well (rather than the quality). Vista is so
bloated and slow that it requires all of the resources of the fastest
new computers to just perform basic tasks like web browsing. A truly
excellent operating system (OpenBSD is a good example) uses a
miniscule portion of system resources to just run, leaving the rest of
your system free to do the tasks you assign it to. I can run the
latest version of OpenBSD on my Sun SparcStation LX made in the late
80s. It has only 24mb of ram, a 200mb hard drive, and a (50? mhz) slow
cpu. It runs fast enough to serve a modern web page to multiple users,
and route a 1 megabit internet connection to multiple computers at the
same time. Imagine how much resources it must leave free for further
use on a new computer that literally has over 200 times the system
resources available!

Sincerely,
Tyler William H Backman
1987 190D Turbo Biodiesel