From: Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 201 fan control?
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Date: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 9:27 PM

> Anybody got a 201 fan control box laying around?

I've got one I was going to put back on eBay (from whence
I got it).  I bought it for ours, but was able to repair
the broken flipper inside our fan switch.

> I heard a snap and I couldn't turn it on anymore.
> Last night I took the box apart. There are 3 levers inside that
> control the thing, one had broken where it stops from flipping upside
> down. I tried epoxying it but couldn't get anything strong enough.

 From my log:

Pulling out the upper console piece it was time to confront the jammed
blower switch.  I had bought a used replacement on eBay, but since the
broken one was nicely held together with screws I thought I'd have a
look inside first before just replacing it.  There are three plastic
rockers inside driving spring-loaded electrical contacts, with a
spring-loaded roller wheel that travels along the rockers.  The first
rocker had spun around on its post allowing the roller wheel to wedge
itself down into the gap next to the rocker.  Careful examination
showed that the reason this happened was that a little plastic
protrusion on the rocker's axle post that mates with a travel-limiting
hole in the rocker had broken off, allowing for more rotation of the
rocker than was intended, and opening up a big gap for the roller to
drop into.  This is a weak bit of design there, and the reason that #1
rocker is more susceptible to breaking off the pin is that there is
only the one rocker supporting the force from the roller, everywhere
else two rockers (and limit pins) share the load.  To try to fix this
I used a small drill to drill through the shell right next to the axle
where the nub had broken off, then I glued a metal brad into that hole
to serve as a replacement nub, with a reinforcing wire wrapped around
the brad and bent around a corner and screwed into a handy hole.  (I
left the brad long so that on the back side there was plenty of
protrusion for the glue [Shoe Goo of course!]  to grip to lock it in
position.)  I then set it aside to dry.

Later I found that my reinforcing screw was shorting things out,
so I removed it.  It's been working since June 11, 2006.

-- Jim