From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Gary Hurst
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 11:31 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Recent IRS Ruling (no joke)

ah, well, then everybody just get a tax ID number, i suppose.  i think they
are free from the IRS or at least cheap.  every mexican in the barrio seems
to have one, so i presume y'all can get one too.

it still defies logic though as most people at some point have paid for the
stuff they are selling and, as is often the case with guys like me, selling
it for less than they paid.  i mean, suppose i go to the store and buy an
electric guitar for $250, only to discover that i really am too old to rock
n roll and might not even be too young to die.  as it takes me a year to
discover this, the store is not inclined to take back the guitar, so i try
my luck on ebay, where i get 150 for it.  so now i'm $100 in the hole and
the government takes a cut of $42 as my "fair share" on that transaction to
pay for the iraqi genocide?

you see a problem here?

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Tom Hargrave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gary,
>
> The 28% withhold requirement will only apply to merchant account holders
> who
> have their account registered with a SSN. Grocery stored and most
(probably
> 99% +) businesses have a FEIN & don't use a SSN. In other words, the
> withholding requirements will not apply to them.
>
> The impact to this ruling will be to the small shops who, for what ever
> reason, do not have a FEIN. A lot of small eBay sellers fall in the
> category.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Hargrave
> www.kegkits.com
> 256-656-1924

It's
> > easy to cross 200 transactions / year without getting close to 20K with
> low
> > dollar eBay sales.
> >
> > The impact on small eBay sellers is that most are running a margin of
20%
> > or
> > less after covering their material cost, eBay fees and PayPal fees. And
> > most
> > don't have a FEIN. Without a FEIN, their gross receipts (and not just
> their
> > margin) will be subject to 28% withholding. Also, I suspect that most
> don't
> > pay income tax and with low margins, selling on eBay will not be worth
> the
> > effort. I suspect that a lot of them will just drop out of the eBay
game.
> > This is why I stated that the ruling would hurt eBay.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tom Hargrave
> > www.kegkits.com
> > 256-656-1924