On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Mitch Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Make:   Volkswagen
> Model:  Passat GLS

I was looking at those Passats with the 1.8 liter turbo four for a
while.  I got scared off by the sludge issue.  Apparently the engine
really needs frequent oil changes, preferably synthetic, and VW dealer
service departments in the USA didn't get wind of it, or didn't pay
attention, until it was too late in many cases.  (This story is all
over the web---VW forums, Edmunds, etc.---and I wouldn't take it
seriously if I didn't have personal experience with the failure of VW
dealers to do the simplest things correctly---they wanted to put
conventional oil in a TDI despite those engines having been designed
from the start, and only warranted, for Mobil 1 or similar
high-quality synthetic.)  Bottom line is that I would only buy a VW or
Audi with the 1.8T engine from an enthusiast who had verifiably
changed the oil themselves with the right stuff and often.

Alex Chamberlain