The really disgusting thing is that state schools are always grubbing
for cash.  They get so much of the budget and then (here in WA it is
biennial) as the end of the funding period arrives there is a mad
scramble to use up all the funds so that they can keep asking for
larger sums.  Were they ever to not use the money, they fear funding
would be reduced.

Local land grant is great about upgrading and gathering all the
hardware they can each biennium.  Then it gets a little used, but very
functional, and ends up at the surplus auction or store.  A person can
snag a nice P4 for $100, or laptop for $25-160 depending on
processor.  Not even going to mention the lab equipment or the pallets
of sports gear (NEW) that goes begging.  I guess there are not many
impoverished folks with size 15 feet in need of high end Nike shoes.

clay