I know, I know, "Trash the windoze OS and switch to Linux!".  Sorry, not an
option, get it out of your system if you must but know that I'm going to ignore
those replies.

I need to copy a DVD which was made on a video camera (Sony I believe) because
the camera burned the movie to a mini-DVD disc and I need to have it on a
normal DVD disc.  I want to send the movie to family who have a DVD player and
I'm afraid that when they (technically challenged) lay the mini-DVD in the tray
of the player it might get off-center and jam.  (Is this fear groundless?)

Last night I tried for about 2 hours to try to figure it out on my Windows
Vista Home Premium laptop.

First I copied the contents of the mini-DVD to a folder on my HD.

Windows Media Center offers option for burning a DVD, but says the folder with
the mini-DVD contents is empty.  Apparently the file type (.vob) is not
supported.

Windows DVD Maker (? not sure I've got the name right, it is a very bare bones
program that came on the computer) recognized the file type, but the DVD copy
it makes is only 4 seconds long (the first part of the movie), the movie on the
mini-DVD is about 20 minutes.

I hate the idea of loading a new piece of software to make this work, but that
may be the only route.  Anyone know how to make the Windows SW do the job, or
recommend a good piece of SW for Vista that will do what I need?  Some of the
on-line forums talked about loading a different codec so that Media Center
would recognize the file type.  Anyone have a clue which codec?

I'm going to keep searching on-line for a solution.

--
Very respectfully,
/s/