From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Wonko the Sane
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:13 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - moisture in air

Yes (and answering your following email) -- they are Aircrew Wings. Navy and
Coast Guard and (I think) Marines share the same badge. In some ways, they
are more valued in the Coast Guard than pilot wings. Pilots did six years
and went to the airlines -- aircrew folks often hung around for a career.

They are enlisted air crew wings, very special and not easy to earn. It
means that you have qualified to fly alone (without an instructor) in the
airframe and can do the job for which you are qualified.

You have to lose the USAF mindset, Wilton, to understand the following.

In the Coast Guard, officers fly the planes. Everything (EVERYTHING) aft of
the pilot and co-pilot are enlisted crew. We kept the plane in the air and
the pilots pointed it through the sky.

I felt a special bond between the officers and enlisted in the Coast Guard,
because the pilots knew that the guys sitting aft of them had the same "live
to fly again" investment in the airframe.

I flew as navigator, which I think is an officer position in the USAF. I did
it as an E2 (University graduate) and was our air station's primary nav
instructor and check-ride-guy when I went off to OCS as an E6 (three years
later). If I didn't think they had the right stuff, I sent them back for
additional training, and no officer ever questioned my decision. ... If I
said they were ready, the pilots knew this guy could navigate them to hell
and back (all flights over the ocean), using Loran-A, Loran-C, or (in the
event of a power failure) find the closest point of land with DR and a
compass. To be honest, I was a total prick on check rides -- but I wanted my
guys to always come home alive. I wasn't always popular with my students,
but I knew when they went off on their first patrol alone, they could bring
the bird home no matter what happened. And no one, after earning their
wings, ever had a bad word to say about me (to my face), other than a "thank
you" later.

Here is what makes the Coast Guard unique, even from the Navy. In the Navy,
some folks fix planes and some folks fly. Coast Guard doesn't do that. As an
avionics tech, I fixed the equipment and then climbed into the airframe each
day and headed offshore for a patrol. Everyone did. We had NO guys who
didn't fix and fly. If you have an aviation specialty, you are air crew or
you go to a boat (and get a new rating).

The same guys who did the mechanics (including engine changes) flew as
flight mechanic (in the USAF known as flight engineer).

I was the ONLY guy at the CGAS who calibrated the RADALTs. Our mission was
flying 50 feet on the RADALT making passes on fishing boats. Guess who died
if I got lazy and was +/- 15 feet on the calibration? I was also the guy who
calibrated the ILS boxes. How important is that? I never worried when we had
to do an ILS approach, because I knew we were spot-on on the instruments. If
not, _I_ as the guy who died.

I was the last guy at CGAS Cape Cod to be dual-qualified in the Goat as
nav/radio AND flight engineer. Took a bit of persuasion to get the
wrench-turners to qualify me as a "nose-picker."  There was not a lot of
love lost between the avionics guys and the mechanics. We needed a much
higher ASVAB score to even get into school and were seen by them as somewhat
elitist. Fortunately, I don't mind getting oil on my hands. I like to think
I earned their trust by my professionalism. Truth is, I pestered the hell
out of the E9 until he gave in and let me get qualified.

USCG Aviation is a unique breed. We flew hard, we were professional, we did
good, and we partied hard.

If you saw the movie The Guardians -- that movie is 100% accurate of Coast
Guard aviation.

Ok, for everyone except Wilton, I apologize for my verbose post. Wilton will
understand.

D.

--
LT Don