Very interesting. I have thought about doing something similar for years. My
basic research on the web suggested it
was a bad idea and that I would encounter all sorts of trouble with bad things
that would grow in the water unless
I filtered and chlorinated it etc. That sort of held me back. I planned to pick
up water from the showers and
re-cycle it to flush the toilets. I still think that if the storage tank was
small enough, it would re-cycle soon
enough not to be a problem. However the cost of setting the thing up has
deterred me as I don't want to do it and
then find out it does cause trouble. Our water is cheap enough here that it
likely wouldn't pay back for quite a
while and would be a fair amount of work. I would need a separate water
pressure system for the toilet feeds so
would have to have a pump etc. The rest is just basically pipe and time. I
thought to use one of the plastic sump
pump pits and bury it in the basement floor so it was out of the way. Would
need to be set up to drain if too much
shower water went in and have some sort of float valve to add fresh water if it
ran low. The filter is the major
obstacle. Would it be sufficient to just screen it somehow or would I need to
do something better? A swimming pool
filter might work but it gets complicated if one goes to far. Needs to be
simple.

Randy