andrew strasfogel wrote:
I have never seen or worked on either the intake manifold or the ALDA.  What
does this hose look like?  If is a fuel or vacuum hose?

ALDA = square thing on top of IP towards the rear, may have an adjuster screw on top, or may have a tamperproof cap with the screw under it. The hose goes from the ALDA to the firewall where there's a switchover valve intended to vent the pressure to atmosphere if the turbo goes overboost. If that hose doesn't build pressure at the ALDA, the car will run like a non turbo. With vacuum in the hose, (don't ask me how that could happen) it might be weaker than a 240D.

BTW, while you're poking around the IP, take a look at the hand primer pump. Does it have a white disk at the top for a handle, or a long black cap over it that serves as a pump handle? The old ones with the white disk can leak air into the IP and cause severe loss of power. Unscrew the knurled disk to unlock the pump, and give it a few strokes. Does diesel fuel leak out?
Here's what the new one looks like, it's upside down in the picture:
http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/hires/D2010268357BOS.JPG