Hi there, Max

Yes, I remember our conversations. Thanks for your comments this time too.

Apart from a thrust bearing renewal last year, nothing has been touched in the clutch. It's the original.
Another possible cause (that I learned about in intervening years) would be an
incorrect clutch disc - do you know if your's was ever replaced?  The 240D
version can cause an intolerable juddering when installed in a 300D/TD (four
springs vs. five in the 5cyl clutch disc).
The flywheel explanation came from a diesel engineer acquaintance who's been very keen to buy the wagon. This chap believes that the flywheels in 300TDs of this vintage were too heavy. But what that implies for this juddering feedback is beyond me, I'm afraid.

Were a lower ratio diff to be fitted, what would that mean for fuel consumption on the highway, I wonder?

Cheers

Euan