"Bill R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> While I am on my rant I'll jump on the media a bit here also.  They
> continue to want specific plans on developing issues, which they would
> then use to bash either candidate if it did not immediately or later
> [when the situation has changed] address every issue.

I wholeheartedly agree.  These "debates" are simply staged media events.
The "moderators" are either asking trivial-pursuit type questions in
some kind of "gotcha" game, or tossing easily predictable questions that
get just as easily predictable answers.  Or, they'll start with a
premise and then ask the candidate to take a position on one side or the
other, and if they try to disagree with the premise of the question
itself they get accused of "dodging" questions.

I don't think these "debates" represent ANY situation a candidate will
actually face in office, except maybe a press conference.

A debate format I'd like to see would be sort of an open-ended back and
forth, e.g. there is a topic, say "The cause and best solution for the
current financial crisis", give the first guy five or ten minutes to
talk, then let the other guy rebut, and go back and forth for maybe an
hour on that topic.  The moderator would intervene only if the
discussion veered wildly off topic, and to enforce equal time for
rebuttals.

THEN we'd see who can actually think on his feet, how he challenges an
opponent's statements, and how the opponent handles being challenged,
rather than just getting 60 seconds of rehearsed talking points.

Allan
--
1983 300D