Naw, mine is not that bad

Peter Frederick wrote:
Have I told you my dead turbo story?

I had the turbo die in my 85 Volvo TD a couple years after I bought it. Been leaking oil forever, I think, but it finally stopped spinning up hot (it was always poky cold, I though that was just turbodiesels).

So I put a new on in and also discovered that my smoke problem was a sticking EGR valve -- terrible smoke and no power until it was up to speed (meaning you couldn't see the car behind -- SERIOUS smoke!).

Anyway, I got it installed and took of the next day to visit my sister, who was then living in Dayton , OH, about 5 hours away. Ran great all the way up, except for the turbo noise -- quite loud on those cars, believe me -- sounds like a cop car a couple blocks back.

On the way home, however, after pulling the long grade out of Louisville, KY on I-64, I though I saw sparks behind me, just like someone had dropped a lit cigarette out the window, only bigger. More on the next hill, and it was ME blowing sparks. Big sparks, looked like about half an inch or so chunks of burning carbon. All the rest of the trip, as I topped a hill, a shower of flaming carbon blew out the exhaust!

I guess that thick layer of glassy carbon and soot was igniting under load, and when the blast of fresh air blew through when the pedal lifted as I went over the top of the hill it caused chunks to break off and fly through the exhaust. Quite a show as it was dark -- probably blew burning material out on the way up, too, but it was daylight then!

Burned out the exhaust, I had to replace everything downstream of the down-pipe. All the seams in the mufflers cracked, and the weld around the pipe was loose at the rear muffler. Still had more than 1/4" of coked oil and carbon in the mufflers, they weighed a ton!

Hope yours isn't that bad!

Peter

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,
 87 300SDL x2, 86 300E, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D,
 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D,
 76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250, 66 220SEb