To my knowledge concerning these cars they have had most of their bugs worked
out after the 92 model year. Haven't heard much about "brain boxes" going bad
unless someone did something wrong when they attempted to modify or tamper with
it. I'm banking on a bad sensor of some sort and with the symptoms that Steve
described I would almost swear on it