I just finished a second run of the drier.  I'm no longer
sure the thermostat is broken, I put a dial thermometer in
there this time that I could see through the plastic door.
It never got as warm in there as I'd thought, so I turned
up the thermostat.  That 600W element can't heat two buckets
of plums up that far that fast!  I think it got up to 120
degrees in there, and the target was 140.  Though it drew
more power this time it was done in less time, about 22kWH
and 36 hours.  The optimal target would be 24 hours or a
bit less, one could do a load a day then and really put
them away.

I got another 6#.  They're in freezer bags.  The first batch
has had time to equalize, the crunchy edges are gone and the
whole prune is soft.  Dry, but soft.  I ate a few!

The neighbor's (very prolific) tree is empty, so I guess I'm
done for this year.

-- Jim