To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2008 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300D Late Shifting

the shift points are controlled by the control pressure cable. Maybe its sticking. The kickdown solenoid might also be sticking. One other thing to check to see if some carpeting got caught under the pedal and is causing the kickdown switch to be pushed

LarryT wrote:
Wife came home in her W124 91 300D 2.5T this evening and said her car wasn't shifting properly - would rev without shifting.

We went for a ride and sure enough, it's shifting at ~4200rpm regardless of throttle position. As we came home it started working properly again - kind of - wasn't shifting at late as before - It did this before when the little vacuum hose on the upper side of the vac pump came loose but I fixed it properly a while back and it only comes off if I want it off. It is not the problem this time - securely in place. The vacuum pump was replaced approx 6 months ago.

So, are there any other controls for the shift linkage? Perhap a modulator (just a guess) or is there something else that controls the shift points?

Any suggestions? What can I look at? Just printed the Vacuum Diagram from the manual - will study it --

Hopefully it won't require much action on my part - found out Thur I have a fracture called a Tibial Plateau fracture - where the shin bone meets the knee one of the small portrusions that keep things aligned has cracked. No cast but I need to wear a brace probably for 3 months. Not crazy about this --
Thx ya'll --

Sincerely,
Larry T  (74 911, 91 300D 2.5T)
www.youroil.net Oil Analysis Kits &
Porsche Posters/Weber parts

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,
 87 300SDL x2, 86 300E, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D,
 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D,
 76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250, 66 220SEb