>  ...And I meant no disparagement whatever to the awesome-for-its-time,
> mid-30's-design B-17.  'Deserves some major credit for our victoiy in WW II,
> especially in Europe.  Damned glad it was ready just when we needed it so
> badly....

Indeed. What struck me when standing (barely) in the B-29 that this was late
30s early 40s technology and the idea that they started with a clean sheet of
paper and a pencil is amazing. Not just the airplane but the technology in
what makes it a warplane. The gun controls, the bombsights, the everything.....

And nothing was lightweight in those days, either, which resulted in the B-29
being very underpowered. Managing oil and head temps was a difficult and
critical procedure.

And comparing that technology to automobiles of the same period....

RLE

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.