BZZZZZZT!

Clessie Cummins was as American as Apple Pie, and the company he started is in Indiana, as it has always been. Excerpt from cummins.com: "Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana, (USA) Cummins serves customers in more than 160 countries and territories through its network of 550 Company-owned and independent distributor locations...."

Cummins first raced a Diesel at Indy in the 20s.  Check it out

A good book is "My days with the Diesel" by Clessie Cummins.

They may make pieces abroad, and they most likely make whole engines abroad, but Cummins is an American company.

Buy a John Deere, and you may get an engine made in France, Waterloo, IA or Japan. In '74 my Dad bought a Deere assembled in Mannheim, with a french engine, a British (yuk) injection system and US tires.

From what I understand, MB trucks outside the US use MB "OM" series engines. MBUSA trucks (sterling and Freightshaker) probably have options for any of the US-3 as well as some MB "OM" series engines for Freightliners. I know some Freightshakers have "powered by Mercedes Benz" on some of the hoods. To my knowledge, all the OM engines are made by Mercedes Benz, probably in Europe, traditionally in Germany. They have been reluctant to let engine production occur outside of Germany, but maybe that changed with the acquisition of Freightliner. The L1113, L1116 and so forth MB medium duties used OM352 and other OM engines made in Germany. I know of an experimental MB "OM" truck engine that was put in service in a US chassis in 1973 and ran a million+ miles and was good as new when the chassis was retired. The engine was experimental for the US long haul market, but was a production v-8. They wanted to see how it stood up to the long haul market.

I think there is some misunderstanding about what market segment the original question was addressing. I am not sure either. Sprinter is one thing, the L series trucks from Brazil in the 80s is another, and the US (sterling/Freightshaker) is another, and the MB trucks for the rest of the world is another.

Luther, are you saying MB "OM" series engines are being manufactured by Detroit Diesel under contract/license? Could be, but it is news to me. Makes sense though, for the number of freightshakers they sell. Which OM numbers are made in the US?

Anyone know the location of the plant the Sprinters are made in?