Short: how to get the starter knob to move from the 'off' position, aside from
brute force?  It is sticky in the cold.

Long:  Our w115 240d is technically my wife's, but she has never driven it (or
any diesel) in the cold (45F or so, i.e. cold for North Carolina).   Today she
wanted it for some reason.  I showed her how to start it and warm it up, and
how to twiddle the blower knob such that the defrost comes on, and she goes off
to drop the kids at school, and I go off to work.

Half an hour later I get a call, 'I can't start the car!'  She can't get the
starter knob to pull from the off (all the way in) position.  I have her turn
the knob a bit, turn the key, no joy.   I believe she really was pulling as
hard as she could, or at least I got an earful when I suggested she get someone
else to try pulling on it.  So I offer to come pick her up, and of course she
says coldly 'I'll just walk home.'

Fifteen minutes later I get another call.  'I got it to start, but now I'm
stuck at the grocery store.'  This time she lets me go pick her up.  We trade
cars, boom, starter knob works for me on the first try.  Because of this - and
because my wife has dainty hands and weak thumbs - I don't think it was a
mechanical (interlock or other) issue but just a matter of getting the force to
move the knob off the stop.

I'm sure there's some way to fix this - I can't very well run after my wife
every time she parks, but she does enjoy driving the Benz and it really was her
pick for her car so I'd like to make it work.  Is there some lubrication point
for the knob, or do I just need to take it out and try to get it cleaned off?
Or is there a better way?

Anyway, that's my tale of woe for the day, hope you get a chuckle even if you
don't have any suggestions. :)

-TC