From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Alex Chamberlain
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 11:41 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] GM + Chrysler ?

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Rich Thomas
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Isn't Chrysler now owned by an investment company of some sort, bought
DB's
shares?

Yes, Cerberus Holdings.  This merger idea makes no sense to me.
Cerberus being private, they aren't hamstrung by the tyranny of
quarterly earnings reports.  They can take all the time in the world
to restructure Chrysler's product line and operations and make the
company profitable.  Or they could sell off the profitable lines
(regardless of what they actually build, Jeep has practically
unlimited intangible value as a brand) and dump the rest at a loss.
Personally, if I were in charge there, I'd give up on full-size
trucks, but hold on to Jeep as my cash cow; for midsize cars, evolve
the current offerings and stay pallsy with Daimler-Benz so as to keep
sourcing goodies like the sweet transmission and rear suspension in
the Charger/300; work on bringing the minivans up to snuff compared to
the Japanese competition; and plow any free cash into a crash
development program for a small high-MPG car tailored to American
tastes, to trump the new Focus and the Cobalt (or whatever the next
underwhelming GM compact is going to be called).

Alex

Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.549 / Virus Database: 270.8.5/1757 - Release Date: 10/30/2008
2:35 PM