The Temp gauge on my 1990 350SDL sometimes jumps from it's normal 85C to
being pegged past 120C. No a slow ramp-up, like the temp is actually
rising, but an a instaneous jump...[hitting dash helps]

Bad connection.  The gauges are soldered to the PCB in the
cluster, as is the connector that goes to the car's wiring
harness.  That's probably where I'd start.

It's amazing what you can do with a soldering iron.
That and a bit of skill saves all kinds of money.

-- Jim