The last few days the glow plug light would stay on for about 5 seconds
after starting my car. Today, while I'm in Tucson at the U of A  (in the '05
E320), boy child calls and says the 300D's glow light will not come on when
the key is turned and that he tried once to start it after 30 seconds
("checking to see if the light burnt out") and it wouldn't start. Thank
goodness he didn't keep cranking so I would come home to a dead battery.

Reckon it's the glow plug relay? I've only had to replace one in all the
diesels I've had over the years and I seem to remember these were the
symptoms.

Bob R