I tried to get one of those engines running for a high school friends father during WW-2 in a small SE Indiana town. Instead of a spark plug system, it had mechanical "strikers" in the top of the cylinder that made contact and ignited the gas vapour. (Later models had spark plugs.) The electrical source for the strikers was missing, so I tried all sorts of other electric sources but could never get the engine to fire. The later spark plug models, such as the engine that ran a sorghum cane grinder at another high school friends farm, started easily. During the 1930s the Belknap Hardware Co. (Louisville) catalog had many pages of those type engines; some quite large.
Gerry

We call them "hit and miss" engines, because the governor usually
holds the exhaust valve open on the intake stroke to prevent it from
generating an un-needed power stroke.  At no load with the governor
set low, it may only fire every four or five power strokes unless set
VERY rich to make them fire all the time (no power).

Cooling was often an open head filled with water -- they boil merrily
under load.

Designed to run around 500 rpm or so (as is obvious by the flywheel
-- any faster and it would fly apart!) and used to drive stationary
equipment -- sawmills, threshing machines, overhead live shafts that
operate other equipment, and so forth.

Usually have 4:1 compression ratios and use vast quantities of fuel
in operation, even with the very long stroke.  Hand started by
"bouncing" off the compression stroke backwards through a compression
stroke.

The Hercules brand was made here in Evansville -- I think you could
see the remains of the sign on the roof of the old factory until a
few years ago.

Peter