Ok, so the same procedure as I said before, only you get the voltmeter ready, run around and turn the key on, run back and check the voltage back to front. As Peter said, you will see a voltage drop as you move in front of each consecutive GP. When you get to 0 volts, the one behind is bad, and possibly more bad ones toward the front. Generally on the series plugs only one at a time goes bad. It is usually #3, behind the IP, as it is the hard one to change. (Murphys law, corollary 621, or 616 or 617) 0 volts at the center of #5 means you have burned a fuse. Replace it and check for short to ground at plugs 1-5. (to do this remove the ground strap at #1 and the "hot" wire to the center of #5.)

At 03:00 PM 11/3/2008, you wrote:
Just replacing what is there with new original style. I know there are folks who believe the new style is better but I also read that there is nothing really wrong with the original equipment type so I just got a new set of
those.

300D does not have the pull out glow switch. It is in the ignition lock so I can just turn it on and check with the
voltmeter.

What was the story with ohms? My recollection is that one can test them for resistance to see if they have gone bad. I am assuming that an open circuit is dead and my recollection is that a usable one should have a minimal resistance of something less than one ohm. I also assume one must disconnect and test each separately.

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Loren Faeth
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 12:50 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 115 300D won't start

have someone hold out the glow switch.  with a volt meter check for
voltage on each busbar.  when you get to the one that has no voltage,
moving forward, then the plug behind that is the bad one.

If you replace loop type with loop type, then everything, including
the ground goes back as before.  If you replace series, loop type
with pencil type, then you do not use the insulators or busbars, or
the ground.  for the pencil type, you need to make up new 10 ga wires
with terminals for the GPs.  It is difficult to locate 10 ga
connectors with small terminal holes, but they are available.  Pencil
type are wired in parallel, with 12v at the terminal of each plug.

At 12:37 PM 11/3/2008, you wrote:
>I know this has been covered lots of times but if someone out there
>wouldn't mind, I would like to be reminded of
>the procedure for checking the old style series glow plugs.
>
>My car would not start this morning and it was in the garage and it
>is not cold out. The orange light came on as
>normal and went out as normal and it cranked pretty good but never
>started. It blew clouds of grey-black smoke out
>the back. I am guessing that I may have had at least one
>questionable glow plug for a while and have now perhaps
>lost another. It tried to start but I could not get it to catch
>notwithstanding that I tried a number of times and
>ran the battery down to where I finally decided it was best to just
>leave it alone. I put the charger on the
>battery for the morning and left it in the garage. I say I may have
>had a glow plug or two bad because it has not
>been starting all that strongly lately. It would start a bit rough
>and blow smoke until it evened out. I know that
>I need to adjust the valves too as I have never done it and I have
>put about 9K miles on it. Don't know when it
>might have had that done last before I got it.
>
>I have a whole set of new glow plugs that I got from Rusty a year or
>more back and have never installed. I suppose
>I should throw the whole set of new ones in and save any existing
>good ones for spares.
>
>Anything special I should know about changing them out? What is the
>process for checking to see which might be bad?
>
>Maybe the car just does not like November! I have not run it past
>Halloween in previous years as my insurance
>normally runs out on the last day of October. I usually just switch
>to storage insurance and leave it in the garage
>for the winter. However, I needed the car on Saturday as I had to go
>out of town and my elder son did too. He used
>my Supercrew and I kept the insurance on the MB for a few more days.
>The weather is really nice here today so I was
>going to drive it to work. I need to pick up some oil and do the
>change before it goes into storage for the winter
>too.
>
>Randy

Loren Faeth

Loren Faeth