A postal scale works good for measuring grams....

-----Original Message-----
From: Curt Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:28:02
To: Diesel List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] 240D brake/bearing question

Gang,

Marshall would kill me for even thinking this but here goes.
Gotta get the 240D back on the road to buy time for the 190D. To do that I
gotta get new front rotors on 'er. I've never done bearings before and while
I've got the proper grease on order its not here yet and I'm not sure they'll
make it this week which is pretty much my deadline, I need this car for going
to work next week.
So I could use Mobil 1 as a replacement but the problem is I don't know how
much grease to use, did I mention I've never done this before?

So I'm wondering can I just carefully pull the outer bearing, slide the
hub/rotor off, swap rotors, carefully slide the hub/rotor back on, slip the
outer bearing back in and call it good enough for a week? Next week when I've
got the grease I'll go back and replace properly but for now...

I've had one of the dust caps off and the grease is all green and nice looking.
I don't exactly remember the last time I had the bearings done, probably 20,000
miles ago. They'd made noise before that and IIRC he replaced the bearings when
he greased them.

Anyway I'll send an email to make sure I understand the full replacement
process in a sec, just wanted to try an idea.

-Curt