Northern Tool had a little 12V windmill in today's paper for like $550, and some batteries, and some low amp PV panels. Enough of that stuff and a half-windy place and some WVO in your diesel genset you might be all set for the End Of The World As We Know It. And rice, beans, guns and ammo, can't forget that.. I'm not really sure you would need electricity anyway, except to keep your ipod charged up. No intertubes or TV to watch.

Does anyone remember the 50s movie The End of the World where there was a nuke war, some dude had a place in a natural canyon with lead deposits to absorb the radiation, but there were creatures that turned from human into 3 horned things, one of the refugees named Raddicks went up to eat some radioactive rabbits and turned into one (a 3-horned thing, not a rabbit)? The old dude had a hot daughter that the Raddicks monster tried to kill, but the strong dude who joined the little party saved her? That was one great flick! Then it rained clean rain, and the clean rain melted 3-horned Raddicks. Commies put down, Merka rises again, yea!!!

My point is, somehow that dude kept electricity going the whole time, in the 50s, in the midst of a nuke war, wtihout windmills and PVs. Go figure. The old dude and the strong dude wore khaki clothes, very manly men. The hot daughter wore a dress and had her hair and makeup perfect, in the midst of a nuke war. When I first saw that movie I wanted to wear khaki clothes.

There are a lot of people out in the boonies of Texas who run their places on wind and PV, totally off the grid.

--R

Wonko the Sane wrote:
Actually, all I want is a government grant (show me the pork barrel
dollars!) to demonstrate the feasibility of wind turbine generated
electricity for household use.