The rear main seal leak on my wife's Lexus ES300 is down to one drop every two
days from six to eight drops per day three weeks ago, after another leak was
fixed.

Back in January I had the timing belt, gaskets and seals replaced at a Toyota
dealership, one year warranty, unlimited mileage.  The rear main seal requires
engine removal and was not replaced.

All I knew was that I had a leak getting worse and time was running out, so I
took it in.  ~Two hours later their caller said the valve cover gaskets and the
rear main seal were leaking and they recommended doing nothing.

Their theory:  The rear main would be $1800 labor, not under warranty and to
replace the valve cover gaskets would increase pressure on the rear seal and it
would leak more.

I asked for the valve cover gaskets to be replaced and I would try Mobil-one
for the rear main seal and had them put it in while it was there, on 10/23/2008.

There must be a mandatory requirement that you get ripped off some how, when
going to a stealership.  The next caller said my spark plug tube gaskets were
worn and needed to be replaced ($105) or oil would get in a bad place.  I said
do it because I had no idea what spark plug tube gaskets were.  It turns out
they are part of a valve cover gasket kit and should have been replaced in
January, but were not.  Now, they must have had the valve covers in their hand
under warranty work when the call was made, but they charged me $85 for R&R
valve covers. (sigh)

Harry