> Rich wrote:
>
> Some things need the phono pre-amp from your receiver to get a
> good signal for the sound-in, though I think now you can buy a
> USB thingie that takes the phono directly off the turntable,
> maybe that is what your device does.

Any of the magnetic cartridge output are mic level signals. But
the also need have major equalization to "undo" the pre-emphasis
applied prior to the original cutting. 15 dB boost at 50 Hz, 0
dB an 1 kHz, -15 dB at 20 kHz. Audacity has a EQ preset that
seem pretty close. If anyone is interested, I have the
parameters for SoX, the cli sound tool.

The problem with digitally applying the RIAA EQ is the loss of
effective bit depth to allow for 15 dB boost. If you have the
option of a decent analog phono pre-amp, that is usually a
better choice. But if not, the digital EQ works okay.

Record at 24 bit, EQ and down-convert should be fine. *smile*

--              Philip