I have a geo unit. Due to a small lot on a golf course, I had to go straight down. Three wells, 30 feet apart, 220 feet down each, 3/4 inch looped tube in each well ties into a manifold and is pumped to the compressor with a small pump, smaller than a soft ball. Temperature of the alcohol water mix was 60 degrees F, 12 years ago and remains that now.

Mine cost three times that of an air unit, but like Jim said, if you have room to install the tubes in a horizontal ditch, its much cheaper. Having a six foot deep pond nearby is even cheaper.

Harry

There's a company up here designing some that can work down to -40F. I'm considering one of the type that circulates coolant through a deep hole.

I was told recently that the air-exchanger heat pump can run down
to about 20F, and uses about 50% of the energy of electric heat.
The newer ground-exchanger pumps will run down to whatever you
get in your area, and use about 33% of the energy of electric
heat.  That's what I'd want, of course.  We have acreage, so
we perhaps wouldn't have to go deep, cutting the cost of
installation.

-- Jim