> Luther wrote:
>
> BUZZZZTTTTTT, WRONG!  I have used 3 different USR internal
> modems, and ALL 3 functioned correctly under Linux.  Winmodems
> will function correctly, but not out of the box.

Not all of them will. Some are just lousy paper weights. It all
depends on the DSP chipset. Some are well supported with FOSS
software, some require compiling proprietary drivers, others are
hopeless - and since the pool of dialup modem users seems to be
shrinking, I doubt there will ever be much further reverse
engineering on those.

> Additional software is needed, any other modem will function
> "plug'n'play"

I have had zero success with external USB modems. But all I
could prove is that when plugged in they existed. No idea if
either of them was broken.

--       Philip