http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93096

I saw this in the local HF store and thought it looked like a pretty
fun toy.  I've seen these combination inverter/chargers designed to
run your whole house, marketed to the off-the-grid folks for major
bucks, but never one this small or cheap.  On the side you can't see
in the picture, it has both a 120 VAC input and screw terminals for a
12V battery.

So, hook up a couple of old car batteries in parallel, and you have a
UPS that will last a lot longer when the power goes out than your
typical OfficeMax model, correct?

I wonder what would happen if you combined this with the little solar
panels and matching charge controller that HF also sells.  In other
words, hook both the inverter/charger and the solar charge controller
directly to the battery's terminals.  It'd be great if the sun would
charge the batteries and the inverter so the latter runs off DC power
most of the time, but when the sun goes down, the charger side takes
over and starts pulling AC to recharge the batteries and directly
power whatever you have connected to the AC outlets.  Wonder if the
control circuitry is that smart or if I'd just be asking to blow up
the batteries and burn the house down?

Alex