[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>> ...Even if the lights are all working, I belive the warning lamp can
>> illuminate if you have different wattages in the various
>> lamps. Everything has to be "in balance" to extinguish the dash
>> lamp....
>>
> I believe you are thinking about Karma or something. All the lamp out
> module is looking for is current flow in a particular circuit reduced
> below a preset level. For example, doubling amperage in the brake
> light circuit will not turn on the lamp out light. But, putting in a
> relay when installing brighter headlight bulbs will turn on the light
> because the relay draws considerably less amperage than a 55W
> headlight filament.

I thought it worked by something like a wheatstone bridge arrangement,
e.g. assuming nothing is burned out, the current flow through the lamps
on the left will "balance" the current flow on the right. When a
eventually burns out this will throw off the balance and trigger the
"lamp out" warning.  The same effect *could* be triggered by having a
higher wattage bulb in the left parking lamp than the right.

I don't know if it's as simple as left side vs. right side, or it may
not work that way at all.  I do seem to recall Marshall (I think) saying
that different wattage bulbs could trigger a false alarm, though.

Allan
--
1983 300D (with no lamp out indicator so I really don't have to worry
about this issue).