The hydropneumatic compensator was a clever way of adapting the old axle design
for level control, but it seems unlikely that the hydro compensator was the
reason for that design because it wasn't offered until years after the steel
spring version.

On the Ponton site it says of the evolution of the MB swing axle:

"The pivot point was lowered, and later, a horizontal compensating spring was
fitted between the rear axle and the right axle shaft to keep the car more
stable under various driving conditions."

So I guess it was a necessary improvement, but I don't understand how the
spring contributes to stability.

D.