Von K was a Nazi party member who had the luck to emerge from WWII with a
head start in getting the Berlin Phil job.  I find his artstic
interpretations uninteresting for the most part, but one has to admire the
sound of  the orchestra under his leadership.  Among the array of German
musicians who palled around with Der Fuhrer, the greatest by far was the
awesome Wilhelm Furtwaengler, who was "denazified" after WWII and allowed to
conduct again.

BTW, there were several great German conductors who were never Nazi party
members, such as Hans Knappertsbusch and Otto Klemperer.
 ALS