On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:37:55 -0800 Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Today I finally got around to making a chronological list
> of all log entries on my site.  It's automatic, using a
> script (doupdate)
> http://userweb.windwireless.net/~jimc/chronolog.html

Nifty work. I won't bother to try to decipher the shell script, though you
have some nice things in there.

I clicked on your link and noticed you had done some recent work on your
genset. After reading the entry for today, I read the entry for Wednesday,
October 29, 2008. In it, you say,

      I'm also wondering if kVA (and by extension, Power Factor) meter
      reading(s) can be derived? The kVA is probably possible by using the
      multiplying wattage circuit but feeding it the averaged voltage (for
      the voltmeter) instead of the instantaneous line voltage. Power
      Factor is just W - kVA, subtraction is easy in the analog domain.
      Worth some thinking about, but the switching and meter faces could
      get complicated, and this board is starting to get large already.

Unfortunately, you can't use subtraction.

           W = PF * VA  =>   PF =  ----
                                    VA

Craig