Curt Raymond wrote:

Some folks say not using the parking brake will ruin an automatic trans.

My boss at the Saab shop didn't use his parking brake to park. One day while he was parked at the market, a delivery truck driver bumped his 900GLE. Sheared the parking pawl in the tranny. The car had a parking brake that was capable of locking the front wheels at speed, so the tranny would have been safe if Vic had used the brake. Might have caused bumper damage if the car couldn't roll when it was hit, though. As it was, I pulled the power plant and sent the tranny to a rebuilder, and the company that owned the truck paid for it all.

Mitch.