Euan wrote:
Brake fade may be familiar to most you as a concept but this weekend, I encountered it for real. And not for the first time. My 5-spd manual 1985 300TD suffers brake fade quite conspicuously on long winding descents, even at relatively slow speeds. The speed is slow because I descend in 3rd gear, usually adopting the truckies' practice of braking the wagon on the engine with short, periodic use of the brakes to bring speed down further. I do not ride the brakes all the way down hills.

What are your actual symptoms? If the brake pedal gets really hard, and you have to stand on it to actually get the car to stop that is probably a bad brake booster. I've had one go out, and it was intermittent just like yours. It sure is scary when it goes out!!

John